Natural Apptitude is hiring a remote, full-stack Software Engineer to join the team developing our environmental spatial data collection platform, plus custom website and mobile app solutions. We are a group of passionate and highly skilled individuals working together to achieve our vision of a future where software helps to solve some of the world’s environmental problems.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We offer an exciting mix of development work across the full stack including custom web and app solutions for clients along with development of our no-code, app building platform ‘Coreo‘. You will be able to play a key role in helping to shape and develop Coreo as it evolves to meet growing demand and becomes an increasingly significant part of the business.
As we’re a small team you will have the opportunity to get involved with many areas of the business, according to your interests. This may include aspects of business development, project management and supporting technical discussions with customers. You’ll also have the opportunity to work with a wide range of different technologies, on important projects that build upon your strengths.
You’ll share our commitment to upholding software engineering best practices and applying a pragmatic approach. You’ll be designing and developing solutions across the whole web application stack, including rapid prototyping, exploring new concepts and testing ideas. With Coreo, in particular, the role will involve building and iterating on new features with users to help solve real problems and to drive the product forwards.
We don’t expect you to be expert in all technical aspects of our projects from day one; there is scope within this role to grow. However, you’ll need the aptitude and appetite to embrace new challenges and to learn as you go.
You will be versatile, love getting stuck in and learning new things. You’ll thrive on taking ideas from concept through to production, making elegant and maintainable user-focused solutions to problems. You’ll also enjoy working with a close knit team, building things that make a real difference for people and the planet.
Your passion for software engineering and continuous improvement will mean that you thrive in our start-up environment. Our collaborative, flexible and ‘as autonomous as you wish’ way of working will provide an excellent platform for you to grow, learn and explore new technologies and tools, helping make our vision become a reality.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Experience working across multiple levels of a web-app stack
- Proficiency across all parts of a software development life cycle, with a strong focus on testing.
- Experience working in an iterative Agile environment
- Proficiency with one or several common JS libraries/frameworks like Angular, React, Vue or StencilJS
- Writing and consuming REST and/or GraphQL APIs
GREAT TO HAVE
- Experience of hybrid app development
- Experience with establishing, or integrating with, relational databases, such as Postgres
- Familiarity with geospatial systems e.g. PostGIS, QGIS etc
- Experience developing a Software as a Service (SaaS) platform
- Experience with WordPress/PHP
- Existing experience with, or desire to learn, native iOS and Android code (Java/Objective-C/Swift/Kotlin)
- Experience publishing apps to both the App Store and Play Store
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
We believe in investing in our people, encouraging career and personal development through training programmes and performance assessments to help you to flourish and to grow with the company.
- £30,000 – £45,000 joining salary (reviewed at six months, then annually)
- Company pension
- 28 days leave per year + 1 additional day per year of employment (capped at 5 years) plus Christmas – New Year closure. Ability to carry 5 days of unused leave into the following year.
- 3 days per annum to spend on research and development. This could be to test new technologies or work on experimental ideas.
- 1 day per year to undertake charitable work of your choice
- Lieu time for additional hours worked
- Remote working (see below)
- Flexible hours (core hours being 10am-4pm)
- Professional and personal development, an approach that you can shape to your needs and interests
At Natural Apptitude we develop software predominantly to support people working in the environmental sectors. We are an industry leader in the field of geospatial data collection and citizen science and work with organisations like the RSPB, Butterfly Conservation and the Environment Agency. Natural Apptitude’s main focus is to support the work of the many organisations across the globe addressing biodiversity loss. We’re a talented and fun team of engineers, designers and problem-solvers dedicated to innovation, and playing our part in protecting the environment. There’s never been a more important time to do this.
In addition to bespoke software development, we also offer a unique no-code mobile data collection platform – Coreo (https://coreo.io/). New to market, Coreo is set to become a major part of the business over the coming years. This is perhaps the most exciting time to join Natural Apptitude, as we begin to scale and start to roll Coreo out.
Location – remote within the UK
We’ve been working successfully as a remote team for several years and we’re open to you working fully remotely. Alternatively, you may work from shared office space of your choosing as often as you wish, or from office space in our original home of Bristol where, post-pandemic, we hope to meet up on a regular basis once again. We offer an inclusive and integrated team despite being remote – you won’t feel isolated – far from it! We provide an attentive and supportive on-boarding process, good project and code documentation, plus mentoring, pairing and one-to-ones; all of this can be tailored to suit your preferred ways of learning.
For an informal chat about this role, or to express an interest, please contact Dave, the company founder at: email@example.com